2Do won’t connect to my IMAP email account
Article ID: 704 | Last Updated: Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM
This article is related to the new Email to 2Do plugin.
2Do should work with most, if not all, IMAP email accounts. Although it tries to automatically guess the default settings for your account, you may need to tweak these when trying to connect to a custom account with non-standard settings. Here are a few things to try:
- Check with your email provider to ensure you are not using some kind of two-step authentication where a special app-specific password is required. iCloud and Yandex, for example, allow users to opt-in to two-step authentication and so you may need to create an app-specific password. Please check with your email provider to learn how to create app-specific passwords.
- Check your login and see if your provider expects you to append the full domain name to the account name. For example: email@example.com
- Lookup IMAP settings with your email provider and ensure you are using the same Incoming IMAP Port number. The default is 993 for SSL connections.
- Try and switch to a different Connection Type. TLS / SSL is the default, however some providers only work with STARTTLS or Clear.
- Try a different Authentication method. Login is the default for most providers but you may find that Password works for you instead. You may need to manually try the different options till one of these work for you.
One thing you may wish to try is to use a normal email client on your mobile or desktop and then see if you’re able to use the same details and login successfully. If you are, make note of the settings and try using the same in 2Do. Bear in mind that some providers (like Fastmail) allow you to create aliases of your real email address, but these are not real accounts. They’re simply aliases and so you won’t be able to login using an alias. This would also fail on a real email client.